Dr. Zhenyuan Yin is currently an Assistant Professor at Tsinghua Shenzhen International Graduate School. He obtained his Ph.D and B.Eng degree both at National University of Singapore from 2020 and 2014 under the supervision of Prof. Praveen Linga and Prof. George Moridis. His major research interests are energy recovery from methane hydrates in geological media by combining methods of (a) high-pressure experimental design spanning from micro- to macro-scale; (b) numerical modelling of the fluid production behavior from hydrate-bearing sediments by coupling hydraulic-thermal-chemical effects; and (c) the state-of-the-art history-matching algorithms. He is also interested in the broad scope of multi-phase flow, heat and mass transfer, and reaction engineering in the domain of energy and environment (e.g., CO2 sequestration, hydrate-based cooling, etc.). Dr. Yin is open to potential collaborations and discussions.
Ph.D., National University of Singapore, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
B.Eng (1st Class Honors), National University of Singapore, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Guest Editor for Special Issue in Geofluid titled “Seepage Characteristics of Gas Hydrate-Bearing Sediments”
- Journal Reviewer for peer-reviewed journals of Applied Energy, Chemical Engineering Science, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Energy & Fuel, Energy Strategy Reviews, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, ACS Omega, etc.
Master’s & Ph.D. Advising
- Energy recovery from CH4 hydrate
- Hydrate-based CO2 sequestration
- Numerical modelling and Reservoir simulation
- Optimization and history-matching
- Fundamental behavior of methane hydrate formation and dissociation in sandy media
- Hydrate-based cooling technologies using semicathrate hydrates
- CH4-CO2 exchange method for energy recovery and CO2 sequestration
Total peer-reviewed journal publications: 26
Publication as 1st and corresponding author: 15
Total number of citations: 634 (as of 12/20/2020)
1. Gao, Q.; Yin, Z.*; Zhao, J.; Yang, D.; Ling, P.*; Tuning the water-gas production behaviour of hydrate-bearing sediments by multistage depressurization. Chemical Engineering Journal 2020, 127174. (IF = 10.652)
2. Yin, Z.*; Zhang, S.; Linga, P.; Estimation of composite thermal conductivity of heterogeneous methane hydrate bearing sediments based on particle swam optimization. Applied Energy 2020, 271, 115229. (IF = 8.848)
3. Yin, Z.*; Wan, Q.; Gao, Q.; Linga, P.; Effect of pressure drawdown rate on the fluid production behaviour from methane hydrate-bearing sediments. Applied Energy 2020, 271, 115195. (IF = 8.848)
4. Yin, Z.; Moridis, G.; Linga, P.*; On the Importance of Phase Saturation Heterogeneity in the Analysis of Laboratory Studies of Hydrate Dissociation. Applied Energy 2019, 255, 113861. (IF = 8.848)
5. Yin, Z.; Moridis, G.; Chong, Z.R.; Linga, P.*; Effectiveness of multi-stage cooling processes in improving the CH4-hydrate saturation uniformity in sandy laboratory samples. Applied Energy 2019, 250, 729-747. (IF = 8.848)
6. Yin, Z.; Huang, L.; Linga, P.*; Effect of wellbore design on the production behaviour of methane hydrate-bearing sediments induced by depressurization. Applied Energy 2019, 254. (IF = 8.848)
7. Yin, Z.; Moridis, G.; Chong, Z. R.; Tan, H. K.; Linga, P.*; Numerical analysis of experimental studies of methane hydrate dissociation induced by depressurization in a sandy porous medium. Applied Energy 2018, 230, 444-459. (IF = 8.848)
8. Yin, Z.; Moridis, G.; Tan, H. K.; Linga, P.*; Numerical analysis of experimental studies of methane hydrate formation in a sandy porous medium. Applied Energy 2018, 220, 681-704. (IF = 8.848)
9. Yin, Z.; Khurana, M.; Tan, H.K.; Linga, P.*; A review of gas hydrate growth kinetic models. Chemical Engineering Journal 2018, 342, 9-29. (IF = 10.652)
10. Yin, Z.; Moridis, G.; Chong, Z. R.; Tan, H. K.; Linga, P.*; Numerical analysis of experiments on thermally-induced dissociation of methane hydrates in porous media. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 2018, 57 (17), 5776-5791. (IF = 3.375)
11. Yin, Z.; Chong, Z. R.; Tan, H. K.; Linga, P.*; Review of gas hydrate dissociation kinetic models for energy recovery. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 2016, 35, 1362-1387. (IF = 3.859)
12. Yin, Z.; Linga, P.*; Methane hydrates: A future clean energy resource. Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering 2019, 27,9,2026-2036. (IF = 1.911)
13. Khurana, M.; Yin, Z.; Linga, P.*; A review of clathrate hydrate nucleation. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering 2017, 5 (12), 11176-11203. (IF = 6.97)
14. H, L.*; Yin, Z.; Wan, Y.; Sun, J.; Wu, N.; Veluswamy, H.; Evaluation and comparison of gas production potential of the typical four gas hydrate deposits in Shenhu area, South China sea. Energy 2020, 204, 117955. (IF = 6.082)
15. Chong, Z. R.; Yin, Z.; Tan, J. H. C.; Linga, P.*; Experimental investigations on energy recovery from water-saturated hydrate bearing sediments via depressurization approach. Applied Energy 2017, 204, 1513-1525. (IF = 8.848)
16. Zhang, B.*; Zheng J.; Yin, Z.; Liu, C.; Wu, Q.; Liu, C.; Gao, X.; Zhang, Q.; Methane hydrate formation in mixed-size porous media with gas circulation: effects of sediment properties on gas consumption, hydrate saturation and rate constant. Fuel 2018, 233, 94-102. (IF = 5.128)
17. Xu, Q.; Qin, H.; Yin, Z.; Hua, J.; Pack, DW.; Wang C.H.*; Coaxial electrohydrodynamic atomization process for production of polymeric composite microspheres. Chemical Engineering Science, 2013, 104, 330-346. (IF = 3.372)
18. Wan, Q.; Hu, S.*; Li, B.*; Yin, Z.; Gao, Q.; Liu, S.; Han, X.; Chen, L; Energy recovery enhancement from gas hydrate based on the optimization of thermal stimulation modes and depressurization. Applied Energy 2020, 278, 115612. (IF = 8.848)
19. Chong, Z. R.; Moh, J. W. R..; Yin, Z.; Zhao, J.*; Linga, P.*; Effect of vertical wellbore incorporation on energy recovery from aqueous rich hydrate sediments. Applied Energy 2018, 229, 637-647. (IF = 8.848)
20. Chong, Z.R.; Zhao, J.; Chan, J. H. R.; Yin, Z.; Linga, P.*; Effect of horizontal wellbore on the production behaviour from marine hydrate bearing sediment. Applied Energy 2018, 214, 117- 130. (IF = 8.848)
21. Yin, Z.; George, M.; Chong, Z. R.; Linga, P.; Kinetic behaviour of CH4-hydrate formation in a sandy medium induced by a multi-stage cooling process. Proceedings of the Annual Offshore Technology Conference 2019 (OTC-29393-MS).
22. Yin, Z.; Chong, Z. R.; Tan, H. K.; Linga, P.; Effect of Multi-stage Cooling on the Kinetic Behaviour of Methane Hydrate Formation in Sandy Medium. Energy Procedia 2019, 158, 5374-5381.
23. Yin, Z.; George, M.; Chong, Z. R.; Linga, P.; Kinetic behaviour of CH4-hydrate formation in a sandy medium induced by a multi-stage cooling process. Proceedings of Offshore Technology Conference Asia 2018 (OTC-28369-MS).
24. Chong, Z. R.; Yin, Z.; Linga, P.; Production behaviour from hydrate bearing marine sediments using depressurization approach. Energy Procedia 2017, 105, 4963-4969.
25. Chong, Z. R.; Yin, Z.; Zhao, J.; Linga, P.; Recovering Natural Gas from Gas Hydrates using Horizontal Wellbore. Energy Procedia 2017, 143, 7801-785.
26. Chong, Z. R.; Yin, Z.; Khoo, B. C.; Linga, P.; Enhanced Gas Recovery from Water Saturated Hydrate Bearing Sediments Using Horizontal Wellbore. Proceedings of Offshore Technology Conference Asia 2018 (OTC-28326-MS).
Awards and Honors
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad (2019)
- Most Cited Paper recognition, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering (2019)
- NUS Departmental Best Graduate Tutor Award, ChBE, NUS (2017, 2019)
- Finalist of the IChemE Singapore Young Industrialist Award (2017)
- Singapore Economic Development Board Industrial Postgraduate Scholarship (2016)
- NUS Faculty of Engineering Dean’s List Award, ChBE, NUS (2011, 2012,2013)
- Singapore Senior Middle 3 (SM3) Scholarship for PRC student, Ministry of Education, Singapore (2010)